I would feel great to express some key points that have led many films joining Bollywood's hundred-crore-club. The movies which are listed in the Hundred-Crore-Club are the movies whose gross nett income is at least 100 crore INR (20 million USD) in the Indian Box Office.
Rising Interest of Youth population
With India becoming one of the biggest economies of the world, It is also emerging as the key for several companies to target specific population. Many film company usually make such films so as to attract more youth population. The interest of watching all-new-released films is one of the factor that led to the emergence of bollywood Hundred Crore Club.
Continuous Sequels of a Movie
If the first part of a movie series received quite good reviews and joined 100-crore-club then there is 90 % chances of its sequel earning over 100 crore. This could be easily explained by the case of 'Housefull'. The movie received quite positive reviews but didn't join the 100-crore-club but its sequel 'Housefull 2' though received quite mixed reviews but grossed 112 crore. Personally I feel generally sequels are worse than the originals.
Following a Specific Actor/Actress
Many people only follow a specific actor like Salman Khan, Hrithik Roshan or Akshay Kumar or actress like Kareena Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra. They prefer to watch their movies even though they are not upto a mark. Thus mainly the movies of such actors and actresses join the 100-crore-club. The better films of other actors are thus oppressed.
Indian audience like comedy, romance and action only
The worst problem with Indian viewers is that they only like specific genre movies like comedy, drama or action or romance. A more better term to define these genre is 'Masala'. They don't like suspense, thrill, science-fiction and others. Thus most of the finest movie are not considered by the Audience whereas the movies with worth comedy and romance easily win the battle. Romance is one genre that easily targets youths.
Inflation in the price of the Tickets
After the mid 90s the price of the tickets are rising continuously. Increased price of tickets and new Theatre techniques like releasing movies in Digital Technology is also a factor for movies joining 100-crore-club.
Though I don't consider it to be a part of a movie but in many rural area this is a major part that a movie should have. I would not like to have any comments on this.
What makes a Movie good and Worthy for 100-crore-club ??
- Powerful Plot : One of the most important factor. A movie without a good plot is a well without water.
- Well directed and Performed : Very Important. It depends on how much effort does every person in the film put to make the film a masterpiece.
- Excellent Music Score : A film should have good background score that makes people beat their feet.
- Nice Script: A film should have nice and memorable dialogues.
- Critics Review : The movie should receive positive mouth of review from major critics.
- Audience Review : Finally, it all depends on you how you judge the movie.
A common thing I have noticed in Bollywood 100 crore club is that Best movies are not the highest grossers and the highest grossers are generally not the best movies.
Touching 100 crore hearts is worth more than grossing 100 crore.
Bollywood Movies in 100-Crore-Club as on 20th Dec 2012 are :
- 1. Ghajini (Aamir Khan, Asin)
- 2. 3 Idiots (Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor)
- 3. Dabangg (Salman Khan, Sonakshi Sinha)
- 4. Golmaal 3 (Ajay Devgn, Kareena Kapoor)
- 5. Ready (Salman Khan, Asin)
- 6. Singham (Ajay Devgn, Kajal Agarwal)
- 7. Bodyguard (Salman Khan, Kareena Kapoor)
- 8. Ra One (Shahrukh Khan, Kareena Kapoor)
- 9. Don 2 (Shahrukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra)
- 10. Agneepath (Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra, Sanjay Dutt)
- 11. Housefull 2 (Akshay Kumar, Asin, John Abraham)
- 12. Rowdy Rathore (Akshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha)
- 13. Bol Bachchan (Ajay Devgn, Asin, Abhishek Bachchan)
- 14. Barfi (Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Ileana D’Cruz)
- 15. Ek Tha Tiger (Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif)
- 16. Jab Tak Hai Jaan (Shahrukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, Anushka Sharma)
- 17. Son Of Sardar (Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha, Sanjay Dutt)
- 18. Talaash (Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukherji)
|Rank||Film||Year||India Adjusted Gross||Overseas Adjusted Gross||Worldwide Adjusted Gross|
|2||Hum Aapke Hain Kaun||1994||309,26,00,000||19,77,00,000||329,03,00,000|
|3||Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge||1995||267,77,00,000||25,67,00,000||293,44,00,000|
|4||Gadar Ek Prem Katha||2001||286,55,00,000||6,07,00,000||292,62,00,000|
|5||Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham||2001||172,70,00,000||51,83,00,000||224,53,00,000|
|6||Kuch Kuch Hota Hai||1998||182,54,00,000||39,83,00,000||222,37,00,000|
|10||Om Shanti Om||2007||133,21,00,000||42,87,00,000||176,08,00,000|
|11||Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi||2008||128,70,00,000||42,98,00,000||171,68,00,000|
|14||Lage Raho Munnabhai||2006||124,78,00,000||26,71,00,000||151,49,00,000|
|17||Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai||2000||138,76,00,000||7,87,00,000||146,63,00,000|
|19||Koi Mil Gaya||2003||130,09,00,000||13,60,00,000||143,69,00,000|
|21||Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna||2006||82,09,00,000||56,20,00,000||138,29,00,000|
|22||Dil To Pagal Hai||1997||117,33,00,000||19,93,00,000||137,26,00,000|
|23||Singh Is Kinng||2008||100,92,00,000||34,72,00,000||135,64,00,000|
|25||Kal Ho Naa Ho||2003||97,09,00,000||33,56,00,000||130,65,00,000|
|27||Hum Saath Saath Hain||1999||107,68,00,000||22,46,00,000||130,14,00,000|
|30||Chak De India||2007||105,48,00,000||17,70,00,000||123,18,00,000|
|32||Love Aaj Kal||2009||89,00,00,000||30,61,00,000||119,61,00,000|
|34||Rang De Basanti||2006||93,25,00,000||24,45,00,000||117,70,00,000|
|36||Main Hoon Na||2004||82,82,00,000||23,97,00,000||106,79,00,000|
|37||Taare Zameen Par||2007||91,01,00,000||14,74,00,000||105,75,00,000|
|42||Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani||2009||83,75,00,000||12,88,00,000||96,63,00,000|
|46||Bunty Aur Babli||2005||76,62,00,000||14,86,00,000||91,48,00,000|
|48||Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na||2009||84,70,00,000||6,45,00,000||91,15,00,000|
|49||Phir Hera Pheri||2006||76,84,00,000||14,15,00,000||90,99,00,000|
|50||Hum Dile De Chuke Sanam||1999||75,26,00,000||15,32,00,000||90,58,00,000|
|51||Mujhse Shaadi Karogi||2004||74,20,00,000||16,33,00,000||90,53,00,000|
|54||Bade Miyan Chote Miyan||1998||83,25,00,000||3,15,00,000||86,40,00,000|
|59||De Dana Dan||2009||64,25,00,000||16,12,00,000||80,37,00,000|
Source : boxofficeindia.com
Feel Free to make your comments......